The right Keywords are critical
Finding the right keywords for your website is the most critical element of an SEO campaign. Use the right keywords for your site and you will see those sought after results, but target the wrong keywords and the rest of your SEO efforts will be wasted.
Yes, finding and using the right keywords really is that important.
Why do keywords matter?
The whole point of SEO is to optimize your website in order for search engines to find your website so that visitors can then find you and what you are offering when they enter a word or phrase into a search engine.
Search Engines and Keywords
Most search engines do their text query and retrieval using keywords. A keyword is any word on the web page, useful keywords and phrases are those that best describe the content of the webpage. The best and most relevant keywords are obviously necessary for the site to rank well for these search terms.
Search Terms and Keywords – just to clarify
Search terms are the words or phrases that people type into search engines and keywords and phrases are the words on your site that match those search terms.
Ok… how do I find the right keywords?
Understanding your target market and the words that they are using in searches is paramount to understanding the best words to include within the content of your website as keywords and phrases, and also in your marketing plan.
The best keywords are not only very relevant to your product or service but also frequently searched for and with low competition.
4 easy steps to finding your best keywords:
- Think about your customers and what you can offer them. What problem does your product or service solve?
- What will potential customers want to know about what you are offering?
- How is your solution better or different to what your competitors offer?
- What is your product or service?
In all industries customers are far more likely to search for a solution to their problem instead of a service or product, so therefore it makes sense to think about what you are offering to help customers and target these words.
There are various keyword tools out there to help you find the best words for your website. Below are my three of the best:
A subscription to Wordtracker’s premium Keywords tool will help you to:
- Generate thousands of relevant keywords to improve your organic and PPC search campaigns.
- Optimize your website content by using the most popular keywords for your product and services.
- Research online markets, find niche opportunities and exploit them before your competitors.
Word Tracker offers a 7-day free trial.
Using Google Adwords Keyword Tool will show you:
- How many people are searching for each keywords phrase
- Generate related keyword suggestions
- Show the level of competition for each keyword phrase
Not only is it a Google tool but it’s also a free Google tool!
An interesting tool which will tell you:
- Which websites are targeting a particular keyword phrase
- Give ideas for keyword phrases based on the search terms that competitors are using.
Keyword Spy offers a free trial
Selecting the best keywords is vital to the success of your SEO campaign, so before you write your content, and populate your meta and anchor tags be sure that you have the right keywords.
Do you have any keyword tips? Please feel free to share them in the comment box below.
If you enjoyed this post, I’d love it if you share it with others using the social media icons.